Sunday, October 16, 2005

Kathy's Connection
CAREER FACILITATOR STRESSES ONE MORE TIME THE IMPORTANCE OF APPEARANCE

This weekend I spent some time at my favorite consignment shop. Sofia has an amazing ability to tell me "why" something looks right or wrong on me. Often, it is just the length of the jacket or the shade of the red. When you feel good -- you act differently. I have made a decision never to walk out the door unless I feel really good. Yes, I have a bag that is getting full---a non-profit will be receiving my bag of clothes shortly.

Most people understand that an opinion about you is made within the first five seconds of meeting you. That goes for how people react when they walk into your store and meet your employees. Employers are constantly asking me how to get their employees to follow store rules with appropriate dress.

1. Tell you employees "why" it is important.
2. Enforce the rules.

There is no excuse that works--there are far too many thrift stores out there that carry quality clothes for anyone at any age or size.


BUSINESS COMMUNICATION TIP:

When someone repeatedly ignores rules, they just might not understand why it is necessary to do the assigned task. When giving out assignments, let the person know why it is important that they follow through. You'll be surprised at how much quicker tasks get done.

No comments:

Post a Comment