Thursday, June 08, 2006

Kathy's Connection

EXECUTIVE COACH AND CAREER FACILITATOR IS COMMENCEMENT SPEAKER AT A CLARK COUNTY SKILLS
CENTER


It is such a honor be asked to be a Commencement Speaker. Then it sets in -- "What am I going to say that is meaningful to these young people going out into the world after studying two years to learn business skill?"

I ended up breaking my speech into four points:

1. Told them that my Executive Secretary degree right out of high school was really critical to my understanding of how the business world operates. It was there I learned how to write a clear, concise letter and how to shake hands well.

2. I stressed that if they were bi-lingual or multi-lingual, be sure to keep up their languages. My 86 year old mother continues to regret that she did not keep up her German that was spoken in her childhood home.

3. I emphasized that it was crucial that they keep learning new technology. In fact, I told them if they can get their hands on Microsoft's new Office Suite version, all the better. Stay ahead of the curve.

4. Finally, and this brought smiles to their faces, I told them to have fun. The "right career" should bring you fun and laughter.

BUSINESS COMMUNICATION TIP:

When going to an event, make sure you arrive early. You certainly can find your place to sit, move the program to your chair so that people know the place is already taken. Then go around and talk to people. You will be pleased with what you learn and who you get introduced to.

No comments:

Post a Comment