Sunday, August 28, 2005

CAREER FACILITATOR, SPEAKER AND TRAINER NEEDS A COACH TOO!

The first part of July I announced that I had hired my own Coach. Let me tell you, it was one of the smartest things I have ever done for a number of reasons. Now I totally, know why people appreciate so much how I help them move forward in their lives.

Mari helped me understand the importance of taking a day off. That means totally off -- no cell phones and no emails. Actually, the goal was not to even turn the computer on during my day off. The night before, I lost sleep thinking it was one of the dumbest things I have ever done -- I couldn't take a full day off --- I'm self-employed!!

Well I did it! After a day of exploring our great Northwest wherever the road took me, I came home totally refreshed and very clear. The next morning, I turned on my computer and 62 emails came up -- none of which required attention the day before. There were four phone messages -- none of them required attention the day before!!! I had missed nothing of importance on my Thursday off; and instead felt totally revived and ready to take on the world.

I have now taken off a day for five straight weeks. I am having fun planning my next day off. Last week I took the day and explored the beauty of the Oregon Coast.

BUSINESS COMMUNICATION HINT: If you decide to take a day off, don't even consider checking your voice mails. One day I did and even though it wasn't a problem, it broke the energy of a totally carefree day.

No comments:

Post a Comment