Monday, November 13, 2006

Kathy's Connection

EXECUTIVE COACH AND CAREER FACILITATOR LEARNS ABOUT OTHER CULTURES

Last week I went to see the movie "Conversations with God" --- really a biography of Neale Walsh and how the narrative for his books came about.

It was great to see Portland, Ashland and Medford and I was impressed how well they combined Neale's current life and his struggles before his success.

For me, the movie provided a true insight to the life of the homeless. It provided insights as to their values, thoughts and how they truly did survive, including through the rainy weather in the winter here in the Northwest. Let's just say I will never look at a homeless person the same way again. The movie taught me a great deal about friendships.

Then I went to see the movie "Lost Boys of Sudan." I didn't realize 20,000 young men have lost their parents. The documentary follows boys that learn that they are coming to the US and docomented their "struggles" to learn about the American culture. It begins when they are on the airplane trying to figure out what they were eating and what they were suppose to eat.

Greatest misperception -- They thought they were coming to America to get an education. For those over 18 years the task to get in enrolled in school was VERY difficult.

The panel, after the movie was superb and included one of the Lost Boys. He now is enrolled in college and you could here the pride in his voice and movie made you understand what he had to overcome.

I urge my readers to keep going to events that stretch you. It has been a terrific week of learning for me.

BUSINESS COMMUNICATION TIP:

If you stay in a hotel for your work or play, make
sure you sign up for their Points Program. The progams
vary greatly, so take the time to go to their website to
develop a clear understanding of how they work.

In addition, you will learn about other hotels included
and partners so your points add up more quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment