Saturday, January 24, 2009

IT DOESN’T HURT TO ASK

Do you ask for help when you need it?

Just got done reading about a blogger who was frustrated with Twitter’s lack of response when he had an issue---a glitch prevented him from writing tweets to his followers. It wasn’t until he asked a man who was well- known in the Twitter Circle to help him that his issue got resolved.

There is nothing better than being able to help a person. We go about our days handling our own business and do not have a clue someone might need help. There are mind readers, yet, most of us do not happen to have such a talent.

This week I had the opportunity to have a couple of one-on-one coffee dates. My goal was to connect. As we talked, ideas started flowing and opportunities surfaced on both sides for cooperation and growth. I walked away from these meetings smiling for my energy was high and was pleased to take away new learnings.

Back in my office, I wrote down some of the “good ideas”. I sent off a note to one of people I had met with this week. I asked for help in clarifying something I was considering putting into a new seminar. Soon there was a reply and the sentence, “Kathy, thanks for asking me to help”.

Instead of thinking you are infringing on people by asking for help, think of it as a way of honoring another person. You are honoring them by seeking their advice, counsel, or physical help. My bet is that will be more than happy to help you out……just ask.

BUSINESS COMMUNICATION TIP:

Working on your taxes? Here is a link that will help you determine the value of goods you have donated. http://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/itsdeductible/index.jsp

No comments:

Post a Comment