Monday, March 02, 2009

BUSINESS CARDS ARE SHRINKING IN SIZE

Actually, the correct statement is “Contact Cards are Shrinking in Size”. The trend toward naming them contact cards was started because people who were looking for work were not carrying cards because they did not have a business.

A contact card is necessary for those seeking employment. One cannot leave a resume with everyone you meet, but you can leave a contact card. It should include:

Name

Address

Phone number

Email Address

Note, I have left off position – companies have too many different names for the same job. In addition, when you are being interviewed, perhaps, there is a job with a better fit for your skills.

If you are a business owner, you know the importance of having your contact cards with you at all times. The more cards you can send out into the world, the better. One businessperson recently said, “Give them out like they are candy”.

Have you seen the new contact cards appearing out in the world-- the ones that measure ½ inch by 2.5 inches? On one side a glossy picture of something . The other side a name, or whatever material the individual wants to include in font size about 3 pt. – maybe even less.

Now for my reaction about miniature cards.

1. First, they are hard to hang on to and where do you put them? The one I received yesterday I had to really “fish” for it in my pocket this morning to find it so I could measure it.

2. No question I had to put my glasses on to read the information and even then, it was hard to read because this particular card was printed with red ink.

3. There is absolutely no room to write any kind of note on it.
a. To remind yourself where you met the person.
b. To write yourself a note to remind you to follow-up.

4. Now where do I put it so it doesn’t disappear forever?

Smiling--feel like the same way I do about a recent redesign of a Tide bottle. Never in my life had I written complaint about a product container – yet wrote, “Who at your company thought this bottle design was a good one”?

Tropicana went back to its' original packaging after customers’ complaints.

My personal belief is tiny contact cards was an idea --- an idea that probably should be shelved as soon as possible.

BUSINESS COMMUNICATION TIP:

Learn from my mistake. Each time you put a link into an email, article, tweet, etc, test it before you send it. This week I sent out my "Weekly Wisdom" and accidentally put two periods in my blog address.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:24 PM

    Kathy,

    Thank you for sharing this valuable information. I recently met a number of persons at a Networking event who were "in transition" and were at the event to make connections but none of them had a Contact/Business Card. They all said they did not have a card 'because they were in-between jobs.' Your post highlights that this is a mistake and I'll be forwarding your link to them. Thank you,
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete