Wednesday, May 06, 2009

SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS REVEAL REAL STORIES IN SALT LAKE CITY

My topic “Effective Teams” was all over in 1.15 hrs. It felt good. People came up to me to tell me how much they enjoyed my story about the ducks on the pond outside my window. It seems there were two baby ducks that didn’t like swimming in a straight line with eight other siblings. The mother panic and the story goes on—you’ll have to read my forthcoming EBook to hear the rest of the story.

After my speech, I changed shoes and headed outside. Thank goodness, I had thrown in an umbrella after checking the weather forecast before I left. People have told me that it never rains much in Salt Lake City for any period…normally cloudless blue skies.

My goal was to visit the Contemporary Arts Center, which much to my surprise was free to the public. The first stop was a gallery of paintings done by visually impaired people. They had four goggles that you could look through to experience the artists' sight as they painted. The paintings were impressive at first glance. When I realized what their sight was liked as they created them, I stood there and marveled at what it took them to complete these works of art.

Looked at my watch and it was time to return to the conference to hear my dear friend Gayle Beacock make a presentation. The message she was about to deliver was cloaked in secrecy for she wanted to surprise everyone.

Gayle revealed the true Gayle Beacock in front of the assembled group and let people know the history, the work and the traumas it took as a family to create Beacock Music http://www.beacockmusic.com

Her family started the store in 1979 and today it is a thriving music store with people from all over the world contacting and featuring them for their innovative ideas.

Half way through the presentation there was a slide of notes her mother, Sue Beacock, had taken in 1969 which said, “Do to the difficult economy…” Gayle illustrated the fact that their family had been through this stuff before and they are alive and even better today. Her point was “A single-minded attitude” didn’t let them give up."

At the end, the group gave her a standing ovation. Her risk to share warts and all worked—people could identify and they liked it! Once again, proving to me when people believe you are authentic, they hear and appreciate your words.

BUSINESS COMMUNICATION TIP:

When giving a ten-minute talk, stick to just one principle. That way you can develop it fully and people will walk away with an understanding of the point you wanted to make.

2 comments:

  1. I learn something new every time I hear you speak or read your book and blog. What a great reminder to be grateful for the things we take for granted, like eyesight and hearing. Your friend's story is also a lesson in perspective. We always think things are worse when we are in the middle of the storm. This economy will recover as has every other economy. That is what gives us the wherewithal to continue rather than quit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind comments...let's trust that I will keep you engaged.

    ReplyDelete