Monday, May 04, 2009

SALT LAKE CITY AND RPMDA CONFERENCE

I feel fortunate that I was selected to return for the second year to the RPMDA (Retail Print Music Dealers Association) Conference. http://www.printmusic.org.

It has been about 30 years since I had been in Salt Lake City, so I looked forward to the visit with great anticipation. As the plane landed, I was reminded how the city sits within a valley. The mountains surrounding the city were snow-capped and the sun was shining brightly. A quick, eight-dollar shuttle ride took me to the site of the conference Salt Lake Marriott City Center http://tinyurl.com/7pu288

Checked into a lovely room overlooking the city and the mountains. It would be my home for the next two days. Grabbed a bite to eat in the lounge, greeted people who organized the event and before I knew it was time to get dressed for what would be an extraordinary evening.

Attendees gathered in the main lobby and then we walked about three blocks (Salt Lake City’s blocks are about twice as long as normal blocks) and found ourselves in the Joseph Smith (Founder of the Mormon Church) Memorial Building. If I were to say, it was ornate – that would be putting it mildly. Everywhere you looked, there were examples of the amazing works of artisans who obviously painstaking created this building – rumors are that it was once a hotel.

A lovely dinner was served there and then we had time to roam the Temple grounds. Tulips were in full bloom – flowers were as far as the eye could travel. Then it was time for us to enter the hall to watch a rehearsal of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Three hundred and sixty voices, plus an orchestra of approximately 40 musicians was being coaxed to perfection by the conductor. We learned that a choir member has to make a commitment of 20 years or until they reach the age of 60.

A break was taken by the choir and then entire group came out in full dress regalia. The conductor walks to the microphone welcomed our group (which was sitting front and center) and says for the next ¾ of an hour we want you to know this is for you.

What unfolded was one of the most unbelievable events I have ever attended. For many in our group it was especially poignant because they were actually using the print music that was sold to the choir from their stores. A song “Lilies in the Field” had to be one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard.

This evening has to be one of the most extraordinary evenings I have ever been a part of in my life. I am honored and humbled by the fact that I was able to witness this evening with the participants of the conference.

My next blog will continue information about my journey in Salt Lake City.

BUSINESS COMMUNICATION TIP:

Assume that the next person you run into is a client. Last night coming home on an airport shuttle, I met a woman who asked me what I do. She's attending my next event where I will be speaking in my community.

No comments:

Post a Comment