Thursday, June 12, 2008

EXECUTIVE COACH, SPEAKER AND AUTHOR PRESENTS IN ATLANTA

When I heard about my time slot to present "Intergenerational Communication: Tools for Communicating with Your Constituents" at the American Water Works Association in Atlanta, Georgia, I groaned...my training time was at 1:00 p.m. on a Sunday afternoon. Not only is 1:30 p.m. my down time, I couldn't imagine people coming in to be trained on a Sunday afternoon. http://www.awwa.org

I used attitude adjustment and was pleased to see 40 public officials settle into their seats in my assigned ballroom. Michael Bell greeted me and explained he would be the one to introduce to me to the assembled group. They were there to receive credit for this seminar --- yet, my goal was to make them feel their afternoon was well spent and to share tools that they could implement once they went home.

Before long we were laughing, interacting and questioning! Perfect--just the reaction I was looking for--people shared their knowledge, their concerns and we kept sharing ideas. When I finished at 4:30 I, personally felt a sense of joy. Yes, some people had to leave around 4:00 to attend other events -- yet, I had looked participants in their eyes, stretched them and was pleased that no one nodded off....always a good sign.

BUSINESS COMMUNICATION TIP:

When you travel for business, build in time to explore. When I was in Atlanta, I had two extra goals:

1. Visit the Coco Cola Museum http://www.worldofcoco-cola.com

2. Visit Jimmy Carter's Library http://jimmycarterlibrary.org


I am pleased to report I accomplished both of my goals--thanks to Atlanta's great transportation system MARTA. It was a wonderful day of exploring!

No comments:

Post a Comment