Sunday, June 29, 2008

EXECUTIVE COACH, SPEAKER AND AUTHOR VISITS SANTA ROSA, CA AND CHARLES SCHULTZ MUSEUM.

I have a watched a number of speakers and trainers start to dread the "road trip." A new hotel every night and a new a city can wear one down. Yet, I have decided to take a different approach.

Before I leave, I google the city and look for highlights/events of the city that I will be traveling to. Last week, I was training in San Jose and Sacramento. Since there was a day in between I decided that I wanted to go to Sonoma Valley. The obvious thought is great wine tasting...yet, there was something more special.

Much to my delight, I discovered the Charles M. Schultz Museum was located in Santa Rosa. http://www.schultzmuseum.org

Outside the museum were four-foot high figures of the famous Peanuts characters. I figured it would be impossible to visit the museum without smiling....I was so right.

Perhaps, the highlight was seeing a tiny original drawing of Lucy sitting in a plastic outdoor pool...then seeing it produced in the real comic strip. I also learned that Schultz housekeeper pulled drawings out of his wastepaper basket and ironed them for she knew their value. It was terrific to see them displayed and made you realize the humble beginnings of these famous comic strips.

Afterwards, I visited the ice rink where Schultz had coffee every morning--now it made sense why so many of the comic strips were about ice skating.

BUSINESS COMMUNICATION TIP:

When you have submitted a proposal and you do not get it, be sure to write a note to let the person know you appreciate the opportunity to be have been considered. The reviewers have a tough job and they have to make tough choices....let them know you understand and let them know you were pleased to be at least considered.


No comments:

Post a Comment