Monday, October 30, 2006

Kathy's Connection

EXECUTIVE COACH AND CAREER FACILITATOR BLENDS SPEAKING AND VISIT WITH MOM

Long ago, I decided that I wanted to be a national speaker and trainer. Yet, I watched so many people get burned out for they were constantly on the plane and rushing from one hotel to another. I decided I wanted to take a different approach.

Last week I spoke in Austin, Texas at the Texas County and District Retirement System Administrators Annual Conference. I was the Keynote Speaker and launched the day with a "Intergenerational Communication in the Workplace." The people in charge were terrific and it was a great experience in every way.

After I was done talking, I checked out, rented a car and drove around Austin to see this city that I heard so many good things about. Let's just say I agree with everything--an alive, vibrant city, where one feels safe and senses this is a very proud community. Everyone I ran into was so helpful.

Then I headed south 82 miles to San Antonio to meet my 87 yr. old Mom and sister who were driving up from McAllen, Texas to meet me. For the next three days, we caught up on news, stopped and admired the architecture and flowers. We learned to really like San Antonio and plan to go back.

I came home refreshed and pleased with what I learned.

This week I am heading to Lake Tahoe to do a training. I called a friend, we're meeting in Sacramento and we're turning the trip into a three-day adventure --- and, of course, dispensing wisdom to 75 people on how to connect with the business community.

I am living my dream -- My career is rewarding and I am traveling and learning new things each place I go for I build in time to explore.

BUSINESS COMMUNICATION TIP:

On the way home from this trip, I noted details like the hotel and cost for taxi from the airport. I listed the restaurants I liked and would like to return. Finally, I listed things that I would like to explore on my return -- I can't believe I missed the fact that the Johnson Library is right there on the campus I drove through.

I am organizing the information by states, so I will be all set when I head there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment