Monday, December 08, 2008

Executive Coach, Speaker and Trainer Travels in Southern California

Each time I head the airport, I smile to myself and say, "What kind of adventure will I have today?"

Many of us have passes to the Board Room (That is the name for Alaska's lounge--I know other airlines use other names). We tease, Frank, who is normally there on weekdays --- and he is great at dishing it back. He proudly announced Portland, Oregon won the "Best Board Room" of all of Alaska's sites. Even if he hasn't pulled off getting "Washington" brand potato chips at our site, I'm betting he is one of the reasons for the recognition.

We get our fresh cup of coffee. I smile when I notice how many people are reading the newspapers that are scattered throughout the room. Reading papers isn't dead with executives. These people know that what they read can be helpful when they are talking with others during the day. People need to know what is going on so they can start and keep conversations going--that's called building relationships.

Plane is on time and the tailwinds gets into Burbank 10 minutes early. Ah....there is sunshine and clear skies. Get my rental car and I'm off.....Again, the beauty of the mountains and blue skies bring me all kinds of ideas for new articles.

It helps so much to get out of your routine to remind yourself of how much you don't know and it helps you nourish your creative side.

BUSINESS COMMUNICATION TIP:

When you are reading the newspaper, pay attention to the ads. It is a great way to find events that you might find interesting. In fact, when deciding where to go I ask myself, "Will I learn anything or will I have fun?" Any event is a networking event.




1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Alena. Actually, do enjoy writing on here -- makes me realize how much I am moving forward and learning. Kathy

    ReplyDelete