Saturday, December 27, 2008

I KNEW I WAS IN BELGIUM WHEN CHOCOLATE WAS SERVED FOR BREAKAST

On December 24, I started my journey to visit my daughter in Belgium at 2:30 a.m. The taxi picked me up at 3:30 a.m. with chains for the treacherous drive to the airport. With snow falling hard, I was relieved it was an early morning flight. We took off on time and arrived in Seattle to even heavier snow.

My next flight was again on time. Once on the runway, you could feel the tension. All of us knew that the pilot had his hands full. The runway appeared to be covered with snow and ice.

Once airborne, the pilot announced, "A special Christmas present from the control tower. We are the last flight out for at least the next two hours." Had we not gotten off then, I would have missed my connection in New York City and would not have arrived at my daughter's for Christmas Day.

I boarded the American Airlines plane and realized my use of miles for a first-class seat were well spent. This plane had seats that fully reclined so I could stretch out to sleep. After a delicious meal, I pulled up the quilt-like blanket and settled down to sleep.

Since I had asked for the "express breakfast" I was awaken 45 minutes before we were to land. The flight attendant served me orange juice, fruit and a croissant. Once I had finished, he handed me a plate of dark Belgium chocolate.

Perfect trip--well almost. It seems my luggage was still in Seattle and would not arrive until late afternoon the following day. My daughter was waiting for me at the gate-It was 8:30 a.m. Nothing like a hug from your daughter on Christmas morning.

BUSINESS COMMUNICATION TIP:

Whenever you travel, make sure you put the chargers and overseas adapters for your computer and cell phone in your carry-on. You never know if your luggage will arrive with you. If you are at JFK airport, Samsung has great stations for charging your devices. There are comfortable chairs surrounding each station and it is FREE.

No comments:

Post a Comment