Wednesday, December 17, 2008

IS IT "SOCIAL NETWORKING" OR "SOCIAL MEDIA"?

During the last month I have been spending a great deal of time on the computer. I know I have to stay on top of technology and decided it was time to figure out Twitter, Facebook etc.

Since I speak and train on networking in person, I got to thinking "Is "social networking" the right word for interactions on these sites? I have asked the question on http://www.Twitter.com no response yet.

A colleague that I respect happened to call on another issue. She brought an interesting perspective to my question. She's nearing the half-way point of her Masters Degree. She said her classmates had just had a discussion on that very subject. They decided, more than likely, it is"social networking" -- taken to the virtual world.

The issue seems to be how to apply professional standards to this virtual arena and the connecting that is happening throughout the world. People are finally starting to understand that what they write will float in cyberspace for years. There are many people having regrets about what they wrote. Perhaps, we need the Emily Post of cyberspace communication?

BUSINESS COMMUNICATION TIP:

If you are packing something to send, make sure you pack it very tight. It seems that breakage occurs when the item inside can move. Loose, wadded newspaper is not enough to cushion the object.






No comments:

Post a Comment